VOX AC4tv

Rob77

Tele-Meister
Valves are not expensive, and they don't last forever. Try buying a selection of valves. Some combinations work very well, some don't, and what works and doesn't is very personal.
For every person that cites running a 12AT7 in V1, there'll be another who thinks the 12AT7 sounds flaccid and dull. For what they cost, try a 12AT7, a 5751 and a 12AY7 in V1. You can always go back to a 12AX7 if you don't like it, plus you'll have a roster of valves to admire. What's not to like?
For the output valve, it comes with a cheapie as stock. They're OK, I guess. Some like Sovtek, some like JJ, some like the Sino EL84 from Ruby. After a couple of years use, just about anything will be an upgrade.
Then there's the Russian NOS 6p14p. I like the 6p14p, you may not. They're cheap enough to play about with. They have a different sound to them, and a different compression characteristic. Last lot I bought, I got four for the price of one JJ. They all work too, which is nice.
You may be tempted to clip capacitors out of the circuit, or swap component values around. Before doing that, try turning the amp up, and your guitar down. Try an EQ pedal. Use the guitar tone control.
I had an AC4TV10. I didn't exactly bond with it, but good sounds could be had with a 12AY7 in V1, a JJ in V2, and turning the guitar down and the amp up. I gave it to one of my Sons, he seems to like it.

Thanks for the advice, I have just bought some valves, though they don't seem to be so cheap (well not for me) here in Australia.
Local supplier suggested I try a JJ ECC823 (hybrid of a 12ax7 and 12at7) to replace the 12AX7, and for the power tube a JJ EL84. I found some instructional you tube clips which will be handy.
Found some other mods on clipping / changing capacitors but may wait to see how the new valves sound. I agree in that its best to use the amp and guitar tone control to roll of the highs than taming them in the circuitry.
On another note, just ordered a Celestion Alnico Blue, so pretty excited to see how that all pairs up. Now need a cab to put it in....question for another forum.
Cheers,
Rob

Coxon2323

Tele-Meister
hello all, I have one of these and I was wondering what drive/distortion pedals go well with these.
I heard you can crank the volume on the amp and then control the volume on the pedal to create tonal awesomeness.
I'am just trying to think what is the best pedal to buy, I have my eye on the Fulltone OCD

jaycoyoyo

Tele-Meister
hello all, I have one of these and I was wondering what drive/distortion pedals go well with these.
I heard you can crank the volume on the amp and then control the volume on the pedal to create tonal awesomeness.
I'am just trying to think what is the best pedal to buy, I have my eye on the Fulltone OCD

I would suggest a pedal with more EQ controls, so you can shape your sound more, considering the Vox only has a tone control. Something like a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe or JHS Charlie Brown.

Hope this helps.

-Jay

schotter611

Tele-Holic
Late to the party. Got the head (from a shop! I guess this must have been sitting around for a while...) and WHAT A FUN AMP! It breaks up at pretty much where I like it at home-friendly levels and I will probably be living in 1W mode (1/4 W for evenings). As many have mentioned, lots of mids, little bass. But I hope tweaking my cab a little will take care of that. Right now it runs on a Jensen C12r and a WGS Vet 10; wondering if a Greenback should replace the Jensen in future. Sounds like heresy, but I used to have an AC10 and we never bonded: Too much amp at home and still not breaking up enough at rehearsal while, to my ears, not being as 'voxy' as an AC15.The AC4 may end up being a one trick pony or, with reverb and EQ pedal, my faux AC 15 for home use. But honestly, that cream Tolex...bah.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Just got a 10”. Love it, my first tube amp!

A8B3DBEF-4EE1-4B16-80B8-866D38916382.jpeg

629CDB3C-F81B-463A-9CC5-84F4D53EDA02.jpeg

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Anyone have recommended extension cabinets? It looks like the manual recommends only 16ohm cabinets?

I’m generally a “matching cabinet” guy (maybe it’s a bass player thing) but was thinking another 10” would be pretty righteous! 🤘

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
Anyone have recommended extension cabinets? It looks like the manual recommends only 16ohm cabinets?

I’m generally a “matching cabinet” guy (maybe it’s a bass player thing) but was thinking another 10” would be pretty righteous! 🤘

Attachments

• Vox 2 X 12 IMG_0237.jpg
    Vox 2 X 12 IMG_0237.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 6
  • GgQYE.jpg
    GgQYE.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 6
  • RIG.jpg
    RIG.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 6

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
After looking at the 3, I don't like the look of the Marshall (too small), I think the Vox cab should be turned up on it's side, and I love the 2X12
So what size is the vox? Is that the matching cabinet to the TV head?

I’m finding there aren’t a ton of 110 cabs out there. Especially 16 ohm. Vox made one for the night train head but seems hard to come by. Orange makes one but it’s pricey.

I think if I want a cabinet for mine I’ll probably have to go 112 or 210. Or I’ll just get a bigger combo altogether!

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
Sounds good, now just add a touch of reverb . . .
Another interesting project is to get an Epiphone Valuve JR Combo (Only the 3 speaker tap model), using the Bitmo conversion turn it into a spring reverb in an extention cab. Swap out the speaker in the Vox for an 8 ohm and run both as a wicked cool mini stack.

Here's the thing about using a 16 ohm cab (You can find it back in this thread if you want to look for it).
You can also run an 8 ohm cab AS LONG AS YOU ONLY USE IT ON 4 watts.
If you run 8 ohms on the attenuator it can burn up the resistors.

What's that fender it's sitting on?
Can you try plugging that speaker in?

Epiphone bitmo conversion.jpg

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
What's that fender it's sitting on?
Can you try plugging that speaker in?
Rumble 25 bass combo. I do have a 8ohm Markbass 112 though… 🤔
You can also run an 8 ohm cab AS LONG AS YOU ONLY USE IT ON 4 watts.
Interesting! But I may be too afraid to actually try that one! 😬😆
Sounds good, now just add a touch of reverb . .
I’ll admit, I do miss the reverb a bit (my other amp is a Champion 20.)

My search list was filled with amps with more features, most had reverb. But in the end “buy local, buy used, buy one you tried” won out.

Guess I’ll have to get some pedals! 🤣

(I think I can always add some reverb on GarageBand too…. But that’s no fun ;) )

middy

Friend of Leo's
Rumble 25 bass combo. I do have a 8ohm Markbass 112 though… 🤔

Interesting! But I may be too afraid to actually try that one! 😬😆

I’ll admit, I do miss the reverb a bit (my other amp is a Champion 20.)

My search list was filled with amps with more features, most had reverb. But in the end “buy local, buy used, buy one you tried” won out.

Guess I’ll have to get some pedals! 🤣

(I think I can always add some reverb on GarageBand too…. But that’s no fun ;) )