NGD Squier Tele Custom

bactrian666

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Actually a week or 2 old. Bought this beater to keep in my office at work. Purchased a few higher end Tele's over the holidays (pics later) and a store sent me a 10% off offer so I picked this one up. Besides the obvious (replacing the saddles and turners) any other upgrades I should think about? Eventually I'll look at switching out the pups but not in a rush at the moment. Oh, I have a 3 ply white/black/white pickguard to switch out also.

Attachments

• IMG_4456.jpg
    IMG_4456.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 98

msalama

Tele-Meister
Hmmm... well some Squier PUs are actually pretty good, so why not give yours a good listen before doing anything hasty? Or just buggritall and replace the neck HB with an original 70's WRHB if you can justify the price :D

middy

Friend of Leo's
No need to replace anything, all a modern Squier generally needs is some work on the nut to get the height down and the slots smooth and lubricated. The pots might suck, too. Other than that, just play it.
If a guitar won’t stay in tune, it’s never the tuners and almost always the nut, and/or the saddles if you have a vibrato bridge.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
It's cool! My two black Squier Teles are the white/black tuxedo look, but I think I'd stick with the black guard on that one. I don't fuss with pots anymore unless I'm trying different values--I'd do that before trying different pickups. Cheaper and easier, too.

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Wow, that is nice looking. Congrats. I do kinda like the tuxedo look for the pickguard. Sorry I can't advise you on pickups, as I don't know much about that, but I'm sure others here can. Compensated saddles can help, and tuners if you don't like the stock ones. I replaced the tuners on mine, with Wilkinsons, I think, and compensated saddles from Stewmac.

bactrian666

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
No need to replace anything, all a modern Squier generally needs is some work on the nut to get the height down and the slots smooth and lubricated. The pots might suck, too. Other than that, just play it.
If a guitar won’t stay in tune, it’s never the tuners and almost always the nut, and/or the saddles if you have a vibrato bridge.
good news/info. I'm buying some nut files shortly to start on my parts caster built, and a couple practice nuts lol

BUG80

Tele-Meister
I think there is only one mandatory mod on Squier CVs and that is replacing the jack cup with an electrosocket.

If you don't do that the club of CV owners will visit your house (or office) someday and take the guitar.

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
I am a sucker for 70s telecastes custom, big congratulations on this beauty.
I would not change too much, but if you are willing to do anything to it, buy a fender CuNiFe wide range humbucker. I did it to my vintera tele custom and man, this guitar went from good to amazing!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Im in the “no need to replace” club

I’ve had some tuners on squiers function better than ones on mim/USA fenders

Unless there are Issues