Modified Nocaster wiring

skylar1996

TDPRI Member
Hey guys I'm pretty new to the forum so forgive me if there's a better place to ask this question.

I'm also new to working with different wiring schemes and how the circuits work, but i managed to make my buddy a nocaster style wiring harness with the blend option instead of the tone and a dark circuit. I also reversed the controls so the switch is at the back and we got to talking about whether or not we could add the blending option to the 3rd position with the dark circuit. Is it possible to have the ability to blend the bridge pickup into the dark circuit in the 3rd position?

I was thinking if i connected a jump wire from the lug the neck pickup is soldered to, which is on in all three positions, to the lug the tone(blend) knob is connected to that would give me the blend option in all three positions. But only if i also jump to the bridge pickup so it is powered in all three positions. Would something like this even work?

Heres a photo of the work i did, i followed a diagram from Seymour Duncan's site to get the wiring i just had to reverse where the switch was;

Attachments

• wiring harness.jpg
    wiring harness.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 13

skylar1996

TDPRI Member
The bridge pickup lead was soldered to the bottom left lug and the neck lead to the lug right beside it with the resistor. i was thinking the jump point from where the neck lead wire is, to the lug where the tone pot is connected then from there to the bridge pickup. Like i said, this is all just a what if, i really have no clue whether or not its possible so any help would be greatly appreciated! 🤘

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
I reckon you could wire the blender pot like on a strat with a bridge/neck blender.
(https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/strat-blender-wiring.505671/)

In theory, you'd get:
1. Bridge pickup, with option to blend in the neck pickup.
2. Neck pickup, with option to blend in the bridge pickup.
3. Neck pickup (dark), with option to blend in the bridge pickup (which would also be affected by the dark circuit, I think).

In that case, for best results, you might want the blender pot to be no load to be out of the circuit entirely when not in use.
Also, the way I did it on my strat, I made it a 'reverse no-load', so that it's out of the circuit at 0 instead of 10 (you might need to use the other outer lead on the blend pot, I don't quite remember how I did it. )

skylar1996

TDPRI Member
I reckon you could wire the blender pot like on a strat with a bridge/neck blender.
(https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/strat-blender-wiring.505671/)

In theory, you'd get:
1. Bridge pickup, with option to blend in the neck pickup.
2. Neck pickup, with option to blend in the bridge pickup.
3. Neck pickup (dark), with option to blend in the bridge pickup (which would also be affected by the dark circuit, I think).

In that case, for best results, you might want the blender pot to be no load to be out of the circuit entirely when not in use.
Also, the way I did it on my strat, I made it a 'reverse no-load', so that it's out of the circuit at 0 instead of 10 (you might need to use the other outer lead on the blend pot, I don't quite remember how I did it. )
Awesome! that helps a lot I completely overlooked the strat blending circuits. I'm gonna wire it up later and ill come back here with my results. My only concern is when both pickups are always on, why in the first position will the neck blend in to the bridge and for the other two positions its reversed. Wouldn't it just blend the neck into the bridge in each position making the 1st and 2nd position the same

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
Awesome! that helps a lot I completely overlooked the strat blending circuits. I'm gonna wire it up later and ill come back here with my results. My only concern is when both pickups are always on, why in the first position will the neck blend in to the bridge and for the other two positions its reversed. Wouldn't it just blend the neck into the bridge in each position making the 1st and 2nd position the same
No, the way it works is that when you're on one pickup you blend in the other.

Think about it this way:
You're running a wire from one pickup to the other, and you're placing the blender pot on that wire to act as a 'valve' to allow signal to pass from one to the other.

skylar1996

TDPRI Member
No, the way it works is that when you're on one pickup you blend in the other.

Think about it this way:
You're running a wire from one pickup to the other, and you're placing the blender pot on that wire to act as a 'valve' to allow signal to pass from one to the other.
Oh okay that makes perfect sense. I think its just something im overthinking and just need to do to go from there. I will have an update for you soon! Thanks again

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Your wiring looks really clean, especially for someone who claims to be new at this!

However, I don't see the mod you want happening. Here's my diagram of the early Tele (just after the Broadcaster, so Nocaster I guess). I think this is what you're doing, but I can't tell all your wires apart on the switch. Maybe you want to post the diagram you worked from so we can confirm we're talking about the same circuit.

The blend works on the Strat, but that's a very simple wiring scheme. These early Teles are much less straightforward.

Maybe @AJBaker wants to point out how he sees it working here? I could be wrong.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 07.05.13 PM.png

skylar1996

TDPRI Member
Your wiring looks really clean, especially for someone who claims to be new at this!

However, I don't see the mod you want happening. Here's my diagram of the early Tele (just after the Broadcaster, so Nocaster I guess). I think this is what you're doing, but I can't tell all your wires apart on the switch. Maybe you want to post the diagram you worked from so we can confirm we're talking about the same circuit.

The blend works on the Strat, but that's a very simple wiring scheme. These early Teles are much less straightforward.

Maybe @AJBaker wants to point out how he sees it working here? I could be wrong.

View attachment 939889
Actually the diagram I used was the exact same as this one except it had the wires reversed for the blend pot. So the jump between pots was attached to the center lug and the wire connecting to the switch was attached to the bottom lug, or the right lug. I'm not sure how that changes the result so maybe I need to switch those wires.

Also I did try to wire in the blend option for the other two positions and it didn't work, all it ended up doing was turning both pickups on in all positions with no blend control whatsoever.

And thank you for the compliment, 😁 I'm familiar with soldering but I've never actually created a harness from scratch. Pretty much just only ever swapped pickups in the past

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
Here's my quick hand drawing of how I'd do it. I haven't checked it on a guitar, this is just a quick doodle, but it should work.

1. Bridge (neck gets blended in)
2. Neck (bridge gets blended in)
3. Neck with cap (bridge gets blended in)

I replaced the resistor with a jumper. I think that should be fine, but feel free to experiment.
For the capacitor, you could try various sizes to see what works. Depending what you use, you can have everything from very dark, to a 'cocked wah' sound.

For the blend pot, I suggest modifying it for best results. You open it up, then you scrape away a little section of the trace (marked in red), to make it no load and have it out of the circuit when not in use.

This should work, but the blending effect wont be quite the same as before, since in positions 1 and 2 you're just blending in the other pickup without the dark circuit having any impact.

Another idea might be to modify position 3:
I bet bridge pickup with cocked wah cap would sound better than the neck. I might modify position 3 to be "Bridge with cap (neck gets blended in)".

WIN_20220114_08_43_39_Pro.jpg

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Here's my quick hand drawing of how I'd do it. I haven't checked it on a guitar, this is just a quick doodle, but it should work.

1. Bridge (neck gets blended in)
2. Neck (bridge gets blended in)
3. Neck with cap (bridge gets blended in)

I replaced the resistor with a jumper. I think that should be fine, but feel free to experiment.
For the capacitor, you could try various sizes to see what works. Depending what you use, you can have everything from very dark, to a 'cocked wah' sound.

For the blend pot, I suggest modifying it for best results. You open it up, then you scrape away a little section of the trace (marked in red), to make it no load and have it out of the circuit when not in use.

This should work, but the blending effect wont be quite the same as before, since in positions 1 and 2 you're just blending in the other pickup without the dark circuit having any impact.
Your blend doesn't connect any signal, in any position.

Also, I may have misinterpreted the request, but I was trying to only add bridge blend into position 2 and 3, leaving everything else the same. Including the cap and resistor.

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
Your blend doesn't connect any signal, in any position.

Also, I may have misinterpreted the request, but I was trying to only add bridge blend into position 2 and 3, leaving everything else the same. Including the cap and resistor.
The blend pot is wired like on a strat with the blender mod (though I reversed the leads). It's connecting the two hot leads to each other via the pot, so that you can blend one to the other.

Look at the second post here:

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm very familiar with that Strat blend circuit.

You are using it to solve a slightly simpler model, without the complexity brought by resistor, and resistor/cap.

But I think you probably just forgot to draw a jumper on the switch. The blender connects to two lugs on the 'top' blade. C and 1. So in pos 1, the blender is shorted to itself. Pos 2 both ends float. Pos 3, one end floats, other is grounded thru the cap. The pickups are drawn on the other blade, with no connection to all that on the top blade.

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
I'm very familiar with that Strat blend circuit.

You are using it to solve a slightly simpler model, without the complexity brought by resistor, and resistor/cap.

But I think you probably just forgot to draw a jumper on the switch. The blender connects to two lugs on the 'top' blade. C and 1. So in pos 1, the blender is shorted to itself. Pos 2 both ends float. Pos 3, one end floats, other is grounded thru the cap. The pickups are drawn on the other blade, with no connection to all that on the top blade.
True, I forgot to connect the two halves of the switch.