Custom shop thinline with neck dive issues

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's

You could design a plate that will fit in the control cavity and have it laser cut. Pricing is dang reasonable, although there is a minimum order fee of $29.

Just be sure to ground the plate, and you can call it extra shielding.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
You can move the strap button to one of the neck screws. Try it with both of the screws, under the low E or high E. You might not like either, but it's worth a shot.

Also try a very wide strap.

Last edited:

etype

Tele-Afflicted
You could also extend the upper horn in some way, so that the strap button moves towards the head stock.
I am sure some laughed at this, but a Dunlop strap lock on the horn will move the strap attachment out about 5/8". That is enough to help. We need a physicist to tell us if installing one at the endpin location as well would help more or would reduce the benefit of the one at the horn.

VonBonfire

Tele-Meister
Neck dive equals a poorly designed instrument IMO the best solution is sell it and get something done right. Wheel weights are for car tires and casting bullets, not your guitar strap. Lighter weight tuners, maybe a bigsby. Lotta money and hassle. The suede strap that drags your shirt forward all night like you was just in a barfight and hoss pulled you in close while gripping your flamed skulls ed hardy or bowling shirt to punch your nose good.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
SG Neck Dive Solved.jpg

Alex_C

Tele-Holic
Moving the rear strap button up works. A simple metal plate, screwed into the strap button hole. The strap button bolted to the upper hole in the metal plate.
mending plate.jpg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I'd start with lighter tuners.
^^^^This. I have a Hamer Special K that had borderline neck dive. I swapped the factory tuners out for Sperzel lockers and it was cured.
1642168999264.png

Here's another idea: Automotive wheel weights with adhesive to stick to the inside of your control cavity. They have a plastic coating that keeps them from interfering with your electronics. $30 for more than you'll EVER need on Amazon:
1642168954064.png

Or you could drill holes through the dots on the neck ...

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I had the same issue with an old Gretsch Country Gentleman, and initially dealt with it by shoving a couple of lead chess-pieces in rubber tubing and putting them inside the body. In the end, I found that replacing the massive solid tuner buttons with lightweight celluloid was a far better solution. Lightening the heavy end is preferable to weighing down the light end, IMO.

Strap-locks are worth checking out too, I suppose. I hate 'em.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I actually got rid of my Gibson SG because the neck dive was annoying. And yes I used a suede strap but sitting w/o one it drove me crazy. I replaced the SG with a Carvin that is nicely balanced and have zero regrets.

Mojojonesing

TDPRI Member

You could design a plate that will fit in the control cavity and have it laser cut. Pricing is dang reasonable, although there is a minimum order fee of $29.

Just be sure to ground the plate, and you can call it extra shielding.
Now that looks like an elegant solution!!!! Cheers, Mr. Holt... I think I have my answer at last...

Mojojonesing

TDPRI Member
^^^^This. I have a Hamer Special K that had borderline neck dive. I swapped the factory tuners out for Sperzel lockers and it was cured.
View attachment 940026

Here's another idea: Automotive wheel weights with adhesive to stick to the inside of your control cavity. They have a plastic coating that keeps them from interfering with your electronics. $30 for more than you'll EVER need on Amazon:
View attachment 940025

Or you could drill holes through the dots on the neck ...
Ordered these today small box was only 8.49 on Amazon!! I'm hoping this is the solution I've been looking for...