4 Way with Out of Phase

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Anyone have a diagram for a 4 way switch config that is B, B+N in phase, B+N OoP, N?

(Or B, B+N OoP, B+N in phase, N -- I don't care)

Whenever you search for 4 way with out of phase the diags that come up are usually 4-way series wiring with a separate switch or P-P pot for OoP.

Thanks!

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but for a while I was doing pickup/switch wiring diagrams kinda like Sudoku. 3 wafers really blows things wide open. I hardly ever needed all 4 in a super switch. Of course I don't actually WANT this in a guitar, but somebody might.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.png
    IMG_0310.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hopefully someone will know more than I do, but I'm not sure that out of phase is easily doable with a just a 4-way switch.

I thinkin' as AJ, don't think you can pull that off with a 4w. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of it myself FWIW.
I concur. Can't be done with a 4-way. Not without an extra pole, or separate switch.

takauya

Tele-Meister
Also, you might have to consider which series or parallel OoP you would like.
I personally believe parallel OoP is the worst tone you could produce from a Tele, IMHO, YMMV of course.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Thanks, everyone.

I am already putting one mini-switch in this one. Was trying to decide to use it for phase switching or to split the humbucker (or do series/parallel on the humbucker, or use and on-on-on switch to do series/parallel/split on the humbucker.

I may just try the phase switching to see if I like it. Pretty easy to undo on a tele if I don't!

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
Cool beans.

Just for the conversation, I would think you will want to (need to) spilt the hb, and then a p/p for the series as if you series with a hb, it often can be to dark/muddy.

Do keep us posted on the project.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Cool beans.

Just for the conversation, I would think you will want to (need to) spilt the hb, and then a p/p for the series as if you series with a hb, it often can be to dark/muddy.

Do keep us posted on the project.

Gotcha. I just meant series/parallel within the humbucker.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Gotcha. I just meant series/parallel within the humbucker.
When manipulating the coils of a humbucker, my personal result is that I no longer bother with a simple split. It's too different, too thin, too low volume compared to the other settings. And it generally doesn't sound 'good', as in like a Fender s/c pickup. Parallel is usually where I leave it, unless I really want the classic humbucker tone (series).

That said, I have done some experiments with a partial split, and like the sound. I posted about it here, in the technical forum. Unfortunately I don't currently have a PAF style humbucker in a Fender type guitar, and I try not to use my Collings or Gibsons for test mules.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I've done several versions with the Superswitch. it has 4 poles so there is lots of room to experiment. any time you deal with series AND parallel or out of phase settings that still retain the normal settings you end up needing more poles. I have also used the 5 way SS which also has 4 poles